Who we are
FoondaMate is an early stage startup on a mission to equalise access to online education.
We believe talent is equally distributed, but opportunities are not. Less than 7% of African households have a computer in them, and the majority of students in the developing world are excluded from online learning. When coupled with poor quality schools, lack of access to extra curricular support and overcrowded classrooms, many students from developing countries are left without access to quality learning.
We're on a mission to empower students in the developing world and level the playing field in Education.
🌍 We are solving this problem by building a suit of conversational applications, including a WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger chatbot that brings the internet + online learning to students using the hardware and software they already have access to. You can try out the existing product here: https://api.whatsapp.com/send?phone=27600703213&text=hello
This has been working. Since our launch 2 years ago we have been used by +500k students from +30 countries across the globe. Our focus to date has been on the African market, but we are now expanding to more regions.
🚀 We're currently working on expanding our reach and launching into new markets.
FoondaMate.com is looking for a Software Engineer to help us maintain and scale our API applications to enable hundreds of thousands of students to study online. Specifically we’re looking for someone who wants to combine their aptitude for coding and Maths to enhance how we are able to help High School students prepare for tests and exams.
Beyond the day to day technical aspects of the role, this role will be a good fit if:
- You are a strong work ethic - you have a willingness jump through hoops to deliver results.
- You are a clear communicator comfortable explaining complex technical and mathematical concepts to any team member including team members outside of your department.
- You are ambitious and understand the demands of building for emerging markets.
- You care about changing the way education is made accessible online.
None of these are requirements, but do describe the kinds of people that we think would be most effective at FoondaMate right now.
- 1 - 2 years of experience as a Software Engineer
- Ability to solve problems using clean, reusable, maintainable code.
- Experience building production applications using Object Oriented Programming (Java or PHP or Python)
- Can implement and maintain automated testing of backend applications (Java or PHP or Python)
- Some experience with continuous integration and continuous deployment
- Experience with Flask or Django or Laravel or Spring or Ruby on Rails
- Git and Github
- Are comfortable working in a written communication-first remote company (we write everything down and don’t do stand-ups/meetings)
- Happy writing documentation so that others can ramp up super easily and you're never a single-source-of-failure.
- Maintain and improve API applications using Python, PHP and TypeScript
- Maintain and improve internal packages using Python, PHP and TypeScript
- Setup and maintain CI and CD workflows
- Salary Range: $ 900 - $ 2 100 (USD) per month — open to negotiation if you have more experience
- NB: We are legally obliged to pay you in your local currency — you cannot be paid in USD unless if USD is legal tender in your country. You will be employed by a local legal entity in your country and paid in the legal currency in your country.
- South Africa: R 15 000 - R 35 000 monthly
- Nigeria: ₦ 375 000 - ₦ 880 000 monthly
- Ghana: ₵ 8 850 - ₵ 20 600 monthly
See local Rates for countries we are actively looking to hire from for this role:
Why you might be excited about us
- We're working to solve a massive global problem and equalise access to online tools so students in developing countries can study better. There are +345 million students in the developing world who need FoondaMate.
- We're small, so you'll be able to contribute efficiently and without bureaucracy. You'll quickly have responsibility over big areas of our product.
- We don't have a lot of meetings. As in, most days, engineers have zero. We believe in slow thought, and if we can effectively solve a problem asynchronously, we do. When we do meet synchronously, you'll always have the opportunity to contribute.
- We don’t measure input. We only measure output. You will never be asked to record your time or send in your timesheets. Instead, you will be asked to push your work in progress code everyday to Github, and keep your drafts on Notion for research/documentation work so your progress/productivity can be monitored.
- We utilise and maintain a Career Progression Framework that enables our team at Foondamate to track and record their personal career progress through regular check-ins against the skills required for their role, with their managers. We’re seeking to empower our team to grow, and demonstrate clearly where they are vs current expectations and the next step too - so we can support them in making that step.
- We are transparent about salary across the entire organisation. As in, you will know what salary bands your team members are in. We’re not about offering a low salary to someone based on their current salary or expectations. Additionally, our team know how much they can expect to earn now and later, once they’ve got that well-deserved promotion.
- You'll be able to work remotely.
- We will mould your role to shape a career you're excited about. We care a lot about your satisfaction and job happiness, and will help prep you for whatever you're looking for in the future.
- We work hard and also highly value balanced work/life. We care about family and your own personal development.
Why you might not be excited about us
- Everything under “Why you might be excited about us” above.
- We're small (~10 people in the company now), so if you like more established companies, it's not (yet) the right time. You'll help build our company's culture.
- Since we're an early stage startup, projects and priorities may shift.
- We’re a fast-paced company
- Our users love us, and there's a lot we can improve. It's a great place to be, but means there's some junk. (Nothing too scary! 😃)
- Since you'll have a lot of responsibility and creativity over projects, they may not be defined perfectly initially, you'll be expected to bring your own experience and perspective to help us do the right things - and raise flags if you think we should do things differently.
What we are currently struggling with
- Building in emerging markets where mobile data is a big issue and most phones are entry level. Need to build for entry level smart phones by default.
- Building in overlooked markets where people do not engage with their immediate environment in English but are forced to engage with technology in English, our applications engage with users in multiple languages (managing quality of output of internationalisation efforts at scale is a challenge).
- Aggregating tons of poorly managed data that we need to vet and restructure.
- Finding innovative ways to solve Maths equations using coding.
How to apply
If this role sounds interesting to you, get started by completing the coding challenge below:
Deadline: September 26, 2022 at 11:59PM
You can learn more about what we're up to:
- Some posts about us around the web (TechCrunch, Business Insider South Africa, TechCabal)
- Our Instagram to learn more about the space we're working in, where we post about our products and education.
Back to Careers at FoondaMate