tl;dr: We are an early-stage on a mission to equalise access to online education. This means our community of students and teachers are our reason for being. We are always looking for ways to further understand, engage and reengage our community.
We are looking for an experienced Community Manager who is a good communicator and has digital marketing experience (Social Media, Email newsletters, SEO) + knows their way around digital tracking and graphing tools. Details about us, the role, and interview process below. 👇🏾👇🏾👇🏾
Who we are
FoondaMate is an early stage startup on a mission to equalise access to online education.
We believe talent is equally distributed, but opportunities are not. Less than 7% of African households have a computer in them, and the majority of students in the developing world are excluded from online learning. When coupled with poor quality schools, lack of access to extra curricular support and overcrowded classrooms, many students from developing countries are left without access to quality learning.
We're on a mission to empower students in the developing world and level the playing field in Education.
This has been working. Since our launch 2 years ago we have been used by +1Million students from +150 countries across the globe. Our focus to date has been on the African market, but we are now expanding to more regions.
Also, we are kind of TikTok famous 🙈😁
🚀 We're currently working on expanding our reach and launching into new markets.
FoondaMate.com is looking for a Community Manager to help us better connect with our users, teachers, parents and various other stakeholders who are a part of the lives of our users.
Beyond the day to day aspects of the role, this role will be a good fit if:
- You have a strong work ethic and a willingness to jump through hoops to deliver results.
- You are able to communicate simply and clearly
- You are comfortable explaining complex concepts to any team member including team members outside of your department.
- You are ambitious and understand the demands of building for emerging markets.
- You care about changing the way education is made accessible online.
None of these are requirements, but do describe the kinds of people that we think would be most effective for this role at FoondaMate right now.
- Have digital marketing experience (Social Media, Email newsletter, Web/SEO).
- Have experience managing a community database and keeping a community alive and vibrant. (e.g. via a CRM like MailChimp/HubSpot, or social media group).
- Can write clearly and are able to write effectively for different personas in a community.
- Have experience with digital tracking and graphing tools.
- Have experience structuring marketing/engagement data for analysis and analysing it.
- Can analyse data and apply learnings when developing community management strategies.
- Have experience developing marketing campaigns (social media/email newsletter/web).
- Are fluent in at least 2 South African languages.
- Have worked remotely and are able to manage time strategically and have self discipline.
- Have worked or are interested in working at fast paced start-up.
- Help develop and manage digital marketing campaigns
- Manage our user community CRM/Graph
- Manage relationships with schools and other stakeholders in our user’s lives
- Salary Range: South Africa: R15 000 - R35 000 monthly (depending on experience)
- MacBook as work laptop
- Flexible remote work policy
- 15 days paid leave each year (in addition to official Local Public holidays)
- An opportunity to do exciting, fulfilling work with great teammates
Why you might be excited about us
- We're working to solve a massive global problem and equalise access to online tools so students in developing countries can study better. There are +345 million students in the developing world who need FoondaMate.
- We're small, so you'll be able to contribute efficiently and without bureaucracy. You'll quickly have responsibility over big areas of our product.
- We don't have a lot of meetings. As in, most days, engineers have zero. We believe in slow thought, and if we can effectively solve a problem asynchronously, we do. When we do meet synchronously, you'll always have the opportunity to contribute.
- We don’t measure input. We only measure output. You will never be asked to record your time or send in your timesheets. Instead, you will be asked to push your work in progress everyday, and keep your drafts on Notion for research/documentation work so your progress/productivity can be monitored.
- We utilise and maintain a Career Progression Framework that enables our team at Foondamate to track and record their personal career progress through regular check-ins against the skills required for their role, with their managers. We’re seeking to empower our team to grow, and demonstrate clearly where they are vs current expectations and the next step too - so we can support them in making that step.
- We are transparent about salary across the entire organisation. As in, you will know what salary bands your team members are in. We’re not about offering a low salary to someone based on their current salary or expectations. Additionally, our team know how much they can expect to earn now and later, once they’ve got that well-deserved promotion.
- You'll be able to work remotely.
- We will mould your role to shape a career you're excited about. We care a lot about your satisfaction and job happiness, and will help prep you for whatever you're looking for in the future.
- We work hard and also highly value balanced work/life. We care about family and your own personal development.
Why you might not be excited about us
- Everything under “Why you might be excited about us” above.
- We're small (~10 people in the company now), so if you like more established companies, it's not (yet) the right time. You'll help build our company's culture.
- Since we're an early stage startup, projects and priorities may shift.
- We’re a fast-paced company
- Our users love us, and there's a lot we can improve. It's a great place to be, but means there's some junk. (Nothing too scary! 😃)
- Since you'll have a lot of responsibility and creativity over projects, they may not be defined perfectly initially, you'll be expected to bring your own experience and perspective to help us do the right things - and raise flags if you think we should do things differently.
What we are currently struggling with
- Managing a large and fast growing community, with multiple types of stakeholders
- Mapping offline communities and word of mouth growth to our online product
- Facilitating even faster and more efficient user activation via community
How to apply
If this role sounds interesting to you, get started by completing the challenge below:
Deadline: 20, December, 2022 at 23:59.
You can learn more about what we're up to:
- Some posts about us around the web (TechCrunch, Business Insider South Africa, TechCabal)
- Our Instagram to learn more about the space we're working in, where we post about our products and education.
Back to Careers at FoondaMate