tl;dr: We are an early-stage startup working to make online education accessible to everyone, regardless of their background. We strive to keep our users engaged and excited about our products. We are continuously looking to understand and interact with our users in new ways.
We are looking for an experienced Brand and Product Marketer (UK/Africa-timezones, between GMT-2 and GMT+2) to join our team and be responsible for executing product marketing initiatives. The ideal candidate should have digital marketing experience, data analysis skills, excellent writing and communication skills, knowledge of SEO; HTML and content management systems, basic design skills, and the ability to provide constructive feedback and delegate tasks effectively.
Details about us, the role, and interview process below. 👇🏾👇🏾👇🏾
Who we are
FoondaMate is an early stage startup on a mission to equalise access to online education.
We believe talent is equally distributed, but opportunities are not. Less than 7% of African households have a computer in them, and the majority of students in the developing world are excluded from online learning. When coupled with poor quality schools, lack of access to extra curricular support and overcrowded classrooms, many students from developing countries are left without access to quality learning.
We're on a mission to empower students in the developing world and level the playing field in Education.
This has been working. Since our launch 2 years ago we have been used by +1Million students from +150 countries across the globe. Our focus to date has been on the African market, but we are now expanding to more regions.
Also, we are kind of TikTok famous 🙈😁
🚀 We're currently working on expanding our reach and launching into new markets.
FoondaMate.com is looking for a Brand and Product Marketer to help us better connect with our users, teachers, parents and various other stakeholders who are a part of the lives of our users.
Beyond the day to day aspects of the role, this role will be a good fit if:
- You have a strong work ethic and a willingness to jump through hoops to deliver results.
- You are able to communicate simply and clearly
- You are comfortable explaining complex concepts to any team member including team members outside of your department.
- You are ambitious and understand the demands of building for emerging markets.
- You care about changing the way education is made accessible online.
None of these are requirements, but do describe the kinds of people that we think would be most effective for this role at FoondaMate right now.
- Have digital marketing experience (Social Media, Email newsletter, Web/SEO).
- Have experience developing marketing campaigns (social media/email newsletter/web).
- Have experience with digital tracking and graphing tools.
- Have experience structuring marketing/engagement data for analysis and analysing it.
- Have experience managing a community database and keeping a community alive and vibrant. (e.g. via a CRM like MailChimp/HubSpot, or social media group).
- Can write clearly and are able to write effectively for different personas in a community.
- Can analyse data and apply learnings when developing community management strategies.
- Are fluent in at least 2 languages.
- Have worked remotely and are able to manage time strategically and have self discipline.
- Have worked or are interested in working at fast paced start-up.
- Develop and execute digital marketing campaigns across various channels (social media, email newsletter, web/SEO) to increase brand awareness and drive engagement.
- Analyse marketing and engagement data using digital tracking and graphing tools to inform marketing strategies and create community graphs.
- Help manage our support CRM
- Manage and maintain a community database to keep it alive and vibrant, using CRM tools such as MailChimp or HubSpot, and write effective and tailored communications for different personas within the community.
- Salary Range: $1500.00 - $2,400.00 (USD) per month — open to negotiation if you have more experience
- NB: We are legally obliged to pay you in your local currency — you cannot be paid in USD unless if USD is legal tender in your country. You will be employed by a local legal entity in your country and paid in the legal currency in your country. See local Rates for countries we are actively looking to hire from for this role:
- South Africa: R25 000 - R40 000 monthly
- Nigeria: ₦ 675,000.00 - ₦ 1,050,000.00 monthly
- Kayna: Ksh 185,500.00 - Ksh 295,000.00 monthly
Why you might be excited about us
- We're working to solve a massive global problem and equalise access to online tools so students in developing countries can study better. There are +345 million students in the developing world who need FoondaMate.
- We're small, so you'll be able to contribute efficiently and without bureaucracy. You'll quickly have responsibility over big areas of our product.
- We don't have a lot of meetings. As in, most days, engineers have zero. We believe in slow thought, and if we can effectively solve a problem asynchronously, we do. When we do meet synchronously, you'll always have the opportunity to contribute.
- We don’t measure input. We only measure output. You will never be asked to record your time or send in your timesheets. Instead, you will be asked to push your work in progress everyday, and keep your drafts on Notion for research/documentation work so your progress/productivity can be monitored.
- We utilise and maintain a Career Progression Framework that enables our team at Foondamate to track and record their personal career progress through regular check-ins against the skills required for their role, with their managers. We’re seeking to empower our team to grow, and demonstrate clearly where they are vs current expectations and the next step too - so we can support them in making that step.
- We are transparent about salary across the entire organisation. As in, you will know what salary bands your team members are in. We’re not about offering a low salary to someone based on their current salary or expectations. Additionally, our team know how much they can expect to earn now and later, once they’ve got that well-deserved promotion.
- You'll be able to work remotely.
- We will mould your role to shape a career you're excited about. We care a lot about your satisfaction and job happiness, and will help prep you for whatever you're looking for in the future.
- We work hard and also highly value balanced work/life. We care about family and your own personal development.
Why you might not be excited about us
- Everything under “Why you might be excited about us” above.
- We're small (~10 people in the company now), so if you like more established companies, it's not (yet) the right time. You'll help build our company's culture.
- Since we're an early stage startup, projects and priorities may shift.
- We’re a fast-paced company
- Our users love us, and there's a lot we can improve. It's a great place to be, but means there's some junk. (Nothing too scary! 😃)
- Since you'll have a lot of responsibility and creativity over projects, they may not be defined perfectly initially, you'll be expected to bring your own experience and perspective to help us do the right things - and raise flags if you think we should do things differently.
What we are currently struggling with
- Managing a large and fast growing community, with multiple types of stakeholders
- Mapping offline communities and word of mouth growth to our online product
- Facilitating even faster and more efficient user activation via community
How to apply
If this role sounds interesting to you, get started by completing the challenge below:
Deadline: 20, March, 2023 at 23:59.
You can learn more about what we're up to:
- Some posts about us around the web (TechCrunch, News24, TechCabal)
- Our Instagram to learn more about the space we're working in, where we post about our products and education.
Back to Careers at FoondaMate